The University of Texas of the Permian Basin provides a generic pre-licensure Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing (BSN). The degree is science-based, patient-centered, and caring- driven. The curriculum consists of four years. In the first two years of study the students take science courses with other pre-health professionals in pre-med, pre-dentistry, pre-veterinary, and kinesiology sciences. The course of study also includes courses in the social sciences that help students understand human behavior and to gain insight into the human spirit.
The nursing courses are taken during the third and fourth years of the curriculum. The nursing curriculum is both theoretical and practical. Students are prepared to problem-solve, based on evidence and research, while including the patient as the main source of information. Strong clinical experiences are provided in the community and regional healthcare facilities and in the use of technology in UTPB’s state of the art Nursing Simulation Center.
The faculty is committed to preparing graduates that are caring, scholarly and imaginative to coordinate and provide care in a variety of complex healthcare settings. Graduates of the BSN program will be prepared to take the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN).
Steps to Apply
- Apply for Admission to UTPB by using the ApplyTexas Application found at www.applytexas.org
- Submit official transcripts from your high school and any colleges attended while in high school or after.
- Submit official SAT or ACT scores.
- Be formally admitted to UTPB as a degree seeking student.
- Complete all of the pre-requisite courses for the Nursing Program at UTPB.
- Apply for admission to the Nursing Program (prior to starting your Junior Year), typically, this occurs during the sophomore year in college.
Application to the Nursing Program
- Be admitted as a degree seeking student prior to applying for the Nursing Program.
- Apply for formal admission to the Nursing Program. Pharmacology and Pathophysiology must be taken in the Summer or Fall semester prior to admission to the Nursing Program. This course must be taken at UTPB.
- Complete the Nursing Program Application (including personal essay).
- Additional Admission Criteria Required (i.e. immunizations, criminal background check, TEAS, interview…)
Scholarships and Financial Aid
UTPB is affordable with tuition and fees among lowest in Texas universities. Also scholarships are available to help students lower the costs of attending UTPB even more.
Not only will you be provided with affordable, comfortable, safe and convenient accommodations -- we provide an environment which supports your educational goals, personal growth, social awareness and leadership opportunities. Don't forget, we have social and recreational activities for your enjoyment and relaxation.
Explore housing options at UTPB.
|Nursing Program||UTPB Admissions Office||Housing|
UT Permian Basin
4901 E. University Blvd.
Odessa, Texas 79762